I-STORM is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. In this Privacy Notice we explain why and how weÂ use the data we collect from you when you use our websiteÂ and how it is used.Â Our Privacy Notice applies to the whole I-STORM website, including the restricted access I-STORM membersâ only sections of the website.
Please note that our Online Terms & Conditions (available onÂ www.I-STORM.org) cover all other aspects of accessing and using the I-STORM website and our online platforms. We therefore advise you to read this information carefully before using our website.
1.Â About us
I-STORM, the international network for storm surge barriers, contains national I-STORM networks alongside the international group. The international network is referred to asÂ âI-STORMâ. The national groups are formed of I-STORM members in England, The Netherlands and the USA and are referred to asÂ âI-STORM.EAâÂ (national network in England),Â âI-STORM.NLâÂ (national network in The Netherlands), andÂ âI-STORM.USâÂ (national network in the United States).Â
Our international coordination team operates from London (UK).
Address: I-STORM, Environment Agency, Thames Barrier, Eastmoor Street, London SE7 8LX
T: +44 (0)7760293022 (mobile)
2. Collecting data
Most of the data we collect is provided to I-STORM directly by you. When you use or view our website we collect and process data via your browserâs cookies, when you complete the âContact us formâ, set up an I-STORM members only account or voluntarily complete an I-STORM survey. Why we need this data and what data we collect is explained below.
You have a choice about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide data, you may decline and no data will be collected. However, by doing so,Â our website features may not function as a resultÂ or (if you are an I-STORM member) you will not be able to access the restricted members only sections of the website.Â
2.1 Why do we collect and use your personal information?
We collect and use your personal data for several reasons:
- to gain insight and improve our website.Â When you visit our website, we collect data through the cookies we place (see section 2.2.1). These cookies are used to increase the ease of use for our website visitors. They help functionality and are intended to gain an insight into the operation and effectiveness of our website. This enables us to make the structure, navigation and content of the website as user-friendly as possible. We cannot trace the statistics and other reports to individuals. When you visit our website we give you the choice to accept or decline placing these cookies. When the cookies are declined there will be no data collected.
- to reply to your request.Â In order to be able to reply to the request, your name and e-mail address is sent to us by email when you fill in the contact form on our website (see section 2.2.2).
- to manage our members login.Â And last but not least, we also collect data from our I-STORM members who have a I-STORM website login, to manage the membersâ only accounts (see section 2.2.3).Â
2.2 What data do we collect and how?
Type of cookies
There are a number of different types of cookies, however our website uses onlyÂ functional and analytical cookies.
Functional cookiesÂ are cookies that ensure that this website functions properly.Â I-STORM uses these cookies for:
- remembering information that you enter on the different pages, so that you do not have to enter all your data again, for example if a long survey is being completed.
- saving preferences, such as language, location, selected search key words.
- saving settings for optimal video display, such as the desired buffer size and the resolution.
- reading your browser settings in order to optimally display our website on your screen.
- detecting abuse of our website and services, for example by registering a number of consecutive failed log-in attempts.
- evenly loading the website, so that the site remains accessible.
- offering the option of saving login details, so that you do not have to enter them every time.
- offering the option to send us a message through our contact form.
- making our website responsive.
Analytical cookiesÂ are cookies which analyse how the website is being used. I-STORM uses these cookies for determining which parts of the website are most interesting for our visitors and assessing which parts of our site need adjustment, so we can optimise our website. By using the Google Analytics software, we are able to continuously measure for instance how many visitors come to our website and which parts of the website are viewed the most. This also gives us an insight into how often our web pages are visited, where visitors spend the most time and how users navigate our site. It also tells us what city, country, continent or sub continent they are from and what devices and browsers our audience is using. This enables us to make the structure, navigation and content of our website as user friendly as possible. Statistics and reports from this software cannot be traced back to individual persons.Â
I-STORM web pages may contain content from other sites such as YouTube or Vimeo.
How to manage your cookies
When you visit our website we give you the option to accept or decline placing these cookies. You can also set your browser not to accept cookies. The websiteÂ www.allaboutcookies.orgÂ tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, when declining cookies some of our website features may not function as a result.
2.2.2Â Personal identification informationÂ
We collect personal identification information (first name, last name, email address and messages) when you fill in the contact us form on our website. We need your personal information in order to respond to your enquiry, or help you manage your I-STORM account, if you are an I-STORM member. If we do not collect your personal information, we will not be able to provide our services to you.
Childrens online privacy protection
Our website has no age limit and is therefore accessible to everyone (see our Online Terms & Conditions). However, when personal data of a minor is requested, including but not limited to name and age, permission of a legal parent/guardian must be granted. We will delete the collected data of minors on request. These requests can only be done through the legal parents/guardians by using the contact details above.
2.2.3Â Members only accounts
I-STORM membersâ will need to provide us with some information in order to have an I-STORM account. This will include your name and email address and time of login. The password for this account is set up by yourself and not shared with us.
When you are asked to provide data, you may decline. However, by doing so, you will not be able to access the restricted members only sections of the website.
3. How do we store your data?
I-STORM securely stores your data gained through our website at a server located in The Netherlands, which is ISO 27001:2013, ISO 9001:2015 and NEN7510:2017 certified. Information from the Contact us form is sent toÂ email@example.com, which is a secure mailbox, only accessible by the I-STORM co-ordination team in the UK and NL. I-STORM will retain your data (from the Contact us form), for as long as necessary in order to process your request. Please contact I-STORM if you would like your data to be deleted. Data collected through website cookies is stored by Google Analytics on its own servers.
I-STORM will not use information collected via this website to contact you for marketing purposes or pass your information to any third parties, unless you specifically request it.
5. Data protection rightsÂ
I-STORM would like to make sure you are fully aware of all your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access.Â You have the right to request I-STORM for copies of your personal data. We may charge a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification.Â You have the right to request that I-STORM corrects any information related to or you organisation you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request I-STORM to complete information you believe to be incomplete.
- The right to erasure.Â You have the right to request that I-STORM erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing.Â You have the right to request that I-STORM restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object.Â You have the right to object to the collection and use of your personal information at any time.
- The right to data portability.Â You have the right to request that I-STORM transfer the data that we have collected from you to another organisation, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you have any questions about the I-STORM Privacy Notice, the data we hold on you, or you would like to exercise one of your data protection rights, please do not hesitate to contact us using the contact details above.
Report a complaint
Should you wish to report a complaint, please contact I-STORM in the first instance. If you see that I-STORM has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner or doesnât respond to you within 4 weeks, you have the option to contact or to report a privacy complaint to the Dutch Data ProtectionÂ Authority (AP) (www.autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl).
6. Privacy policies of other websites
7. Changes to our Privacy Notice
I-STORM keeps its Privacy Notice under regular review and places any updates on this web page. This Privacy Notice was last updated onÂ 10 November 2020.